You – yes YOU! – can join the Texas Baptist Men Builders and participate in any number of building activities.
Our builders work with:
- Wood / carpentry
- Electrical wiring
- and more . . .
You are qualified if you can...
- Use hand equipment and / or power equipment.
- Work with experienced men and women in a Christian atmosphere.
- Travel at your own expense to job sites within Texas and, when appropriate, throughout the United States and Canada.
We have a number of ministry focus areas including the following:
- Brick Masons
- Camp Builders
- Cabinet Builders
- Church Builders
- Disaster Recovery Builders
- Furniture Builders
- Project Builders
- We serve on projects of new construction, remodeling, and repair of small and large facilities.
- We receive no pay, as all of our work is unto the Lord and under the umbrella of TBM's volunteer network.
- We provide our own transportation and expenses (most jobs provide one meal per work day).
- We receive boundless blessings from helping those in need and spreading the good news of Jesus Christ.
- Our major tools and supplies are provided through gifts and donations of Texas Baptist Men, Texas Baptists and the Mary Hill Davis Offering.
Women are welcome on our job sites and are involved in a variety of activities including:
- Daily devotionals
- Helping with meals and breaks
- Assisting with administrative and logistical duties, in offices, etc.
- Sewing projects for special mission needs
- The duration of projects vary but usually last from two to three weeks.
- We rarely work less than two weeks, and some projects may go four weeks or longer.
- We have a pretty good indication when we start each project as to what its length will be. We do not work on weekends.
- As volunteers, we are free to come and go as personal needs dictate. Whenever possible, we work through a scheduled job's duration.
- Several projects occur simultaneously, so we encourage volunteers to pick projects best suiting their needs and / or skills.
- A fully equipped tool trailer is at every project site.
- RV parking at the project site is available.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do I have to be a carpenter or builder to join?
No, most of our volunteers come from non-building trades or professions. We have several skilled men who serve as project leaders, but the group has seen involvement from farmers, oil industry workers, office workers, school teachers, professors, missionaries and preachers, along with electricians, plumbers and carpenters. Our people are those who enjoy working for the Lord and want to stay active. We invite anyone who feels called to this type of work to join us. There is work to be done!
2. What are the requirements to join TBM Builders?
You must have the desire and time to serve in volunteer Christian work. A recreation vehicle is desirable, but not mandatory. Full RV hook-ups are provided at each project. Motel-style rooms are usually available at camp projects. Personal hand tools are helpful, but not essential. A fully equipped tool trailer is always on site.
- The host organization usually provides us lunch each working day.
- Breaks are taken at midmorning and midafternoon.
- We often attend a local church on Sundays.
- Camp projects have their own worship services on Sunday and Wednesday nights.
- We enjoy fellowship with each other and play games at times.
Check out the newsletter page to see our current projects. Contact us and ask to be placed on our mailing list, so you can receive our newsletter. This is what we use to get the word out about new projects, and also to provide useful information about TBM Builders. You can show up at any job site you choose ready to work! Come whenever you can, and leave when you must.
DISCLAIMER: Participation in this group may become habit-forming and / or be contagious. You may become addicted as we build for God's glory (!)